Anger as 'curfew' imposed on entire areas of Birkenhead
People are angry that entire Merseyside communities are battling transport "curfews" - meaning they struggle to get to and from work, shops, the town centre and hospital.
They say areas including Noctorum and Beechwood are "cut off" from the rest of the town, and so "effectively placed under a curfew", and are calling for the situation to be turned around.
Mr Field said: "Anger was expressed at the curfew being imposed by Merseytravel on different parts of Birkenhead.
"We were pleased to have Councillor Steve Foulkes, who is on the Combined Authority's transport committee , at both meetings in Noctorum and Beechwood.
"He said that he will speak to the petitions going in from residents. We will meet again in the same places in April for a progress report."
Mr Field has drafted a petition to Merseytravel calling on the transport body provide better services for the two areas, as well as multiple other areas of Birkenhead.
Affected residents are concerned over the lack of services as taxis are too expensive, and many cannot afford cars.
The sessions, organised by Mr Field's team, took place in Beechwood and Noctorum on Saturday, with more than 50 in attendance.
He added: "Birkenhead deserves better bus services.
"So we call on Merseytravel, as a matter of urgency, to lift the curfew and ensure that adequate bus services are put in place for residents in every part of Birkenhead."
Birkenhead's bus services have suffered several significant setbacks over recent months.
Mr Field's calls also come after Stagecoach last week announced the only late-night bus crossing the River Mersey from Liverpool to Chester via Birkenhead is set to be axed .
The bus firm has launched a consultation on its early hours of the morning Night Service 1, and said it is intending to scrap it on April 28.
The community was also dealt a blow when Avon buses, which is based in Birkenhead, collapsed last year , meaning while some routes were saved, others were axed. That included the 83a, described as a "vital lifeline" .
In December, ward member Cllr Angie Davies said it meant many areas of Prenton were left without a route to hospital, schools and the town centre.
As well as that, the 408, which ran from Woodside to Wallasey, was cut last month .Cllr Liam Robinson, Transport Portfolio lead for the Liverpool City Region Combined Authority, said: “We recognise there have been some significant changes to the bus network in Wirral, particularly as a result of the collapse of Avon.
“We have spoken to local councillors, and continue to work with them, on affected routes in their areas and have worked hard to plug gaps in service by subsidising some routes but unfortunately due to government funding cuts we are extremely limited in the resources we have. Where commercial operators have taken over the running of services it is their commercial decision whether or not to continue with them.
“As a Mayoral Combined Authority, we now have more powers under the Bus Services Act to help make our bus network one that better services all bus users. The legislation for this devolved power is complicated, but we’re working hard to explore all the options open to us.”Tom Houghton, Liverpool Echo